This season, the Early-Planted MG-4 trial at the EV Smith Research Center (EVSPBU) started off great. However, things took a turn mid-season.
In this video, Dr. Eros Francisco – Extension Agronomist, Dr. Kathy Lawrence – Plant Pathologist, Henry Jordan – Variety Testing Manager, & Claire Schloemer – Plant Pathology Graduate Student discuss the symptoms of RKN, sampling techniques, and some management techniques.
The results of this trial demonstrate the importance of planting a tolerant variety in a field known to have RKN. Yield data will be added to the variety selection platform at the end of the season.
The following data in-season data is available for the trial.
- RKN gall scores
- Number of RKN eggs per gram of root (this rating primarily shows that there was consistent pressure across the field)
- Visual ratings of % of dead/dying plants in each plot
- Variety-specific images of the plots in June, before RKN damage was evident
- Variety-specific images of the diseased plots in July (available under the trial images icon)
- Aerial photos of the trial