120 Co. Rd. 756,
Clanton, AL 35045
Turn East off U.S. Highway 31 onto County Road 29. Travel about 2 miles.
Center: 6:30 a.m. — 3:30 p.m.
Office: 6:30 a.m. — 5:00 p.m.
Public meeting facilities are available for ag-related groups. The conference room can seat 50, has a 25-seat table and is wired for video conferences.
Established in 1948 on a 160-acre site near Clanton, the Chilton Research and Extension Center (formerly known as the Chilton Area Horticulture Substation) allowed extension of horticultural research into the central part of the state and promoted peaches as an increasingly valuable crop for the region’s farmers.
Although peaches absorbed the greatest attention of agricultural scientists, blackberries, sweet potatoes, beans peas, tomatoes and watermelons were also among the research interests of the station.
The Chilton Area Horticulture Substation was one of the five substations established in Alabama during and a few years after World War II: Upper Coastal Plain in 1944, Piedmont Substation in 1945, North Alabama Horticulture Substation at Cullman in 1948, Chilton Area Horticulture Substation at Clanton in 1948 and the Lower Coastal Plain Substation at Camden in 1948.